Every school in the Trust will flourish whilst ensuring a strong ethos of support and collaboration. This is based on the unshakeable belief that children learn through all aspects of their daily lives and that their values and knowledge, experiences and habits are as important as their academic qualifications.
- We are growing a family of schools based in the Surrey area in which all children succeed and are championed by those who deliver a truly excellent education.
- Each of our schools represents a unique context that we support and celebrate, and we take joint responsibility for the success of all the children in our schools.
- Every school will offer something to others. All our staff will be highly trained and supported, work together to their students’ benefit and develop high levels of expertise.
- Our culture will be rooted in a Christian ethos yet represent the broad spread of beliefs in schools of all settings. We are outward facing and forward thinking, rooted in the best educational research and working with outside partners to the benefit of the children.
We value every child equally, and recognise that they have one, unique opportunity to learn, develop and mature in our care.
- Every child can succeed and contribute positively to their community, both now and in the future, regardless of their background.
- We work together with integrity and trust, sharing the experiences we have and learning from each other for the good of the children in our care.
- We will proactively develop staff potential across all schools in the Trust, investing in colleagues and supporting a common journey of improvement.
- In each school we will provide an aspirational environment that is colourful and creative where we foster curiosity, guide excellence, grow children of good character and nurture a love of life.
- Championing young people rather than institutions
- Collaborating rather than competing where it delivers positive impacts on learning
- Acting with the highest levels of integrity and engendering trust
- Encouraging professional freedoms within consistent boundaries
- Continually developing the skills and capacities of our people and our organisation
Statement of Purpose
At the Enlighten Learning Trust we believe that education can help bring about social change. We aim to realise that potential by building and supporting a network of schools that not only provide excellent education, but redress inequalities of access and opportunity, inspire and foster aspiration, and nurture the enjoyment of learning, creative expression, and practical application.
Our Christian ethos is expressed in this aim through our pursuit of a shared understanding of one another and our world, our commitment to social change for the common good, and our desire to enjoy our shared endeavours. Through these activities we believe we both share in and express the love of God. While we understand our ethos as explicitly Christian, we recognise that it can be arrived at from different standpoints. We welcome it being shared by those with no faith background or those of other faiths, without any assumption that it affects the integrity of their convictions or beliefs.
The Enlighten Learning Trust also seeks to help improve the education system as a whole through developing innovations in education and community engagement and through providing services to assist in school support and change management. Our focus will always be on the long-term personal fulfilment of our students, teaching and support staff, and the broader transformation of society.
The name Enlighten reflects both our Christian heritage and our philosophy of education. The enlightenment movement of the 17th and 18th centuries featured an appetite for challenging the accepted thinking of the time, embracing a scientific approach, yet underpinning it with a fundamental belief in God’s hand in the creation of the world. We therefore embrace the role schools play not only in developing a body of knowledge and skills with which to flourish in the world, but also in cultivating the discipline of thinking for one’s self, encouraging the questioning of why we exist, and supporting the finding of one’s purpose through the role we can play in society.
Central to every school is the idea that each member (child and adult) will be given the opportunity to flourish in the broadest sense – rich learning, character development, deep thinking, teamwork, excellent outcomes and mature reflection. We believe that each individual is equal and unique, that they are highly valued and must know this in their daily experience at school. In ELT schools our children will be enlightened about the world and their part in it, and be superbly equipped to contribute to their community within and beyond the school gates.
All the schools in the Trust will have different contexts and communities that they serve, along with differing histories and backgrounds. What unites us is the ambition to support each other in our endeavour to transform the life chances of every child in our schools, regardless of their background, so the schools in the Trust are truly uplifting places, for we believe that ‘together we can’.
The Enlighten Learning Trust (ELT) was born from the Esher Learning Trust in Autumn 2020, which was founded in March 2014. The Trust currently comprises Esher High School and St. Andrew’s Primary School, Cobham.
The re-naming of the Trust was undertaken to provide a break from the original founding school as we have grown to partner with other schools. We want to be clear that there is equality among the constituent schools and that we are a family of schools who have mutual goals and values.